{1 - 24} GreyGrey
{25 - 49} GreenGreen
{50 - 499} BlueBlue
{500 - 4999} OrangeOrange
{5000 - 24999} RedRed
{25000+} BlackBlack

Please confirm that you would like to report this for an admin to review.


Scaling and Root Planing and Eloquis

I have a patient that is currently taking eloquis. A medical release was sent over to clear for SRPs due to patients medical history. The patients Doctor cleared for SRPs but did not address the blood thinners. When called they said it’s fine. When I look up information it just states procedures should be performed 12 hours after last dose for medium to low risk for hemorrhage. What should I do?



Confirm that you would like to Remove Email Alerts for your question. You cant undo this and you will not be able to re-subscribe.


2 Answers

I applaud you for obtaining a medical release, calling the patient’s physician, and looking up the medication! If the patient takes their medication at night, perhaps it would be best to schedule the patient in the morning to give that 12 hour window. If the patient takes their meds in the morning, perhaps an appointment at the end of the day would be appropriate. Don’t hesitate to talk to your dentist and discuss when it would be best to schedule the patient to help lower risk of excessive hemorrhage.

Confirm that you would like to select this answer as the "Best Answer" to your question. This will bring this answer to to top and be highlighted as "Best Answer". You can always change this if a better answer is given.


Thank you! My gut was telling me to question. The frustrating part is that the genera dentist was out and my OM said that when she questioned them about the meds the GP wasn’t concerned. I told her based on my knowledge and research 12 hours pre-treatment is recommended and based on the patients history with uncontrolled bleeding I did not think it’s was in the patients best interest to do the procedure yesterday. When he came in I explained the concerns and asked when he last took his medication and he stated it was just two hours pre-treatment. Luckily my patient shared the same concerns and was thankful to reschedule and postpone. I then sent over a specific request to his primary doctor and explained the procedure and concerns ( maybe he thought it was a regular cleaning?) and that my main goal is to keep the patient safe. Thank you for confirming that my gut was the right option and that putting the patients safely above production was the right thing to do. I told the patient ideally 12 hours pre and post treatment since he takes it twice a day but we will see what his doctor recommends. I also explained to the OM as the provider doing the treatment of I do not feel comfortable I have that right to not complete treatment of it puts the patient at risk. I also explained even if the doctor his or our GP signs off on treating the patient I’m the one that is performing the procedure putting the patient at risk. Release or no release it comes down my treatment and I’m not comfortable compromising the patients health or my ethical morals.

Confirm that you would like to select this answer as the "Best Answer" to your question. This will bring this answer to to top and be highlighted as "Best Answer". You can always change this if a better answer is given.


You must be Logged In to Answer this Question

Already a Member, Log In
Not a member yet? Sign Up