{1 - 24} GreyGrey
{25 - 49} GreenGreen
{50 - 499} BlueBlue
{500 - 4999} OrangeOrange
{5000 - 24999} RedRed
{25000+} BlackBlack

Please confirm that you would like to report this for an admin to review.

Dental hygienist without a license

What are Illinois laws regarding a graduated dental hygienist without a license and coronal polishing and sealants ?

Confirm that you would like to Remove Email Alerts for your question. You cant undo this and you will not be able to re-subscribe.

1 Answer

After looking at the Illinois Board of Dentistry website, it appears that a dental assistant must be certified/licensed to coronal polish and place sealants, so I’d assume that the same goes for a dental hygienist (must be licensed). Otherwise it may be considered practicing without a license. However, this question is probably best asked to the Illinois Board of Dentistry directly, as they are the governing body over rules, regulations, and licensure.
From: http://www.dalefoundation.org/resources-and-state-requirements/State-Dental-Assistant-Requirements/Illinois
To perform coronal polishing, place pit and fissure sealants, monitor patients under nitrous oxide, or monitor patients under sedation, a dental assistant must:
(1) Be at least 18 years of age
(2a) Complete 1,000 hours of clinical dental assisting experience
(2b) Complete a CODA-accredited dental assisting program
(2c) Hold a current national DANB Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) Certification,
(3a) Complete an Illinois Board-approved course relative to the expanded function in question, subject to specific didactic and clinical requirements
(3b) Provide proof of completion of an Illinois Board-approved dental assisting program that contained the expanded function in the curriculum
Again, I don’t want to give incorrect information so this question is probably best asked to the Illinois Board of Dentistry directly.

Confirm that you would like to select this answer as the "Best Answer" to your question. This will bring this answer to to top and be highlighted as "Best Answer". You can always change this if a better answer is given.

You must be Logged In to Answer this Question

Already a Member, Log In
Not a member yet? Sign Up