{1 - 24} GreyGrey
{25 - 49} GreenGreen
{50 - 499} BlueBlue
{500 - 4999} OrangeOrange
{5000 - 24999} RedRed
{25000+} BlackBlack

Please confirm that you would like to report this for an admin to review.

Seeking advice for taxes while temping?

I realize there was a similar post a few years ago, but I am new to the hygiene field and took a position with a dental temp agency. The company pays us directly, but does not take out taxes. I would like to know if someone with more temping experience can give me some guidance on what I should do to put myself in the best position to Not have problems with the IRS come tax season next year?

They did give me some helpful info, like save ALL receipts for Everything no matter how small (ex. cup of tea) related to my working for the company, Track millage, print out maps etc. I have read around that RDH are not supposed to be independent contractors, but almost all temp agencies seem to hire rdh’s as independent contractors! I am not yet ready to settle into an office so I love the flexibility of temping. I just do not want to put myself into a bad place with the IRS next year.

Confirm that you would like to Remove Email Alerts for your question. You cant undo this and you will not be able to re-subscribe.


1 Answer

I’m not a CPA or employment attorney, however, it is my understanding that if you are a dental hygienist, you are not an independent contractor, no matter who pays you (temp agency or dental office). Where I live, no temp agencies pay hygienists as an independent contractor, so I find your experience very interesting, and at the same time, troubling.
This is advice from another hygienist, Amanda Landers, who is on a mission to get hygienists paid as they should. She states, “At the beginning of each year, file an extension to protect you from filing late. For each 1099 you must complete a separate SS-8 form and submit to IRS. Once reviewed they will send you a determination letter which allows your accountant to file your 1099’s as W-2’s. So instead of you paying the entire 15% in taxes, you only have to pay 7.5% and still use your write-offs. The best part is that you never have to confront the dentist (or temp agency) about receiving a 1099. Filing an SS-8 will not initiate an audit for the dentist (or temp agency), but they will receive an informational letter explaining the law and future penalties if they continue to misclassify dental hygienists. The great part is that their tax ID will be flagged forever and you will protect future hygienist from getting burned. I’m asking that each of you take the time to file the SS-8 for every employer that gives you a 1099. If we all did this together, because we finally have backing by a powerful entity, the IRS, we may just recover some of the respect that our profession has lost but deserves.”
If I were in your position, I would take Amanda Lander’s advice. I wouldn’t even wait until next years taxes to do it, I would file an extension and do it now. Being new is hard, and I applaud you for looking out for yourself and trying to do the right thing to protect yourself!

Confirm that you would like to select this answer as the "Best Answer" to your question. This will bring this answer to to top and be highlighted as "Best Answer". You can always change this if a better answer is given.

You must be Logged In to Answer this Question

Already a Member, Log In
Not a member yet? Sign Up